Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Incomplete Thoughts: That girl you wish you hadn't started a conversation with and other things from the bar.

I know that on the Facebook Page (GO LIKE IT GO GO GO) I said my newest post was inspired by a cracked article, but I got some news this week that ruined my whole day, and the next several days after, so I just do not have the mental or emotional capacity to finish that post right now,  which more or less means that post may never actually see the light of day.

So instead, I'm gonna talk about one of my favorite things: getting white girl wasted at the bar. Specifically, some thoughts I had while visiting said establishment.

- - - 


You know what I'm a fan of? Stupid people.  And by that I mean I'm a fan of being reminded that I am in fact not one of them. And the bar is an excellent place to be reminded of such. On Friday, I gave my friend a ride to campus so he could do his radio show, and went to kill time at the bar while I waited for him. This was something of an experiment, because as I may or may not have mentioned before, I kinda really hate doing things by myself. (Like, so much, that I am officially marking "going to the bar alone" as the first of the five things that scare me for the 101 things list.) But, I had some cigarettes (I know, I know, go on and yell at me) and I had my phone. I wielded these things like a damn sword and shield as I alternated between awkwardly standing there, leaning against the wall (it was busy so all the tables were taken) and hanging out in the back where only the smokers go this time of year.

"Now the problem is, when you can't smoke, if you stand and stare out of the window on your own, you're an antisocial, friendless idiot. If you stand and stare out of the window on your own with a cigarette, you're a fucking philosopher." - Rory Sutherland
And a fucking philosopher I was, as I just kind of.. watched people. When regular people do that, it's creepy. When writers do it... okay it's still creepy, but we're researching, man! So there I was, sitting on a bench with a cigarette and catching up on my bloglovin' feed when I happened to overhear a group of friends (that all seemed to hate each other) talking.

If you don't know what the water situation is click here
It just amazes me that people can, apparently, have such strong opinions about a subject without knowing a damn thing about it. or without actually saying anything about it either. That's even more amazing.I swear, in the whole 5 or so minutes I was listening to these uninformed hipster chicks, none of them actually said anything, I'm assuming, and hoping, that they were bothered by the whole chemicals-fucking-shit-up thing, but if you'd read a transcript, you'd be damn confused, too.  Like Seth here:




Also, I had one of those "you know it's a small town" moments when one of the funniest things that happened that night was when I realized how long it had been since I'd noticed someone surprised by the fact that there was a cat just hangin' out in the bar. This group of bros freaked out when they saw him and I about died laughing. And you know, there's nothing weird about someone laughing hysterically. Alone.

His name is BK and he's basically a local celebrity. 

No comments: